Tagged: Combat Results: QRC vs RuleBook
There is a great index in War & Conquest, and once you have played a couple of games, most things are fairly easy to remember, but these player created Quick Reference sheets may come in handy, they are spilt into 3 pages, here is part A Starting the game and Movement
And here are parts B and C
which cover shooting and combat in part B and Resolution and End of the Turn in Part C.
This last page is quite important as it is easy to miss parts of the Resolution Phase
Oh, that is most useful.
We are planning to start playing (mainly in ancient era) in 2022 so the reference sheets will be extremely helpful.
Welcome aboard – be sure to let us know how the games go, either here or on Facebook or both!
Thanks for putting this out. Always good to have a reference sheet available during game time.
These are very helpful! Thanks for making them avaiable
Handy to have
Our gaming group has recently jumped in to try a few Romans vs Barbarians games, relying on the Quick Reference Charts before fully reading the actual rulebook . . . and is wondering if there is something we’re misinterpreting in the QRC in the “Combat Results Section” for regular combat formations.
Mainly, in the QRC, we were wondering if the “Battle Formation charge target in their frontal attack zone +1” is rather a duplicate of the “Charge Impact Bonus of +1” listed under “Other Combat Bonuses”.
The QRC says there is a “Charge Impact Bonus of +1” under “Other combat bonuses”.
* It then lists several other bonus modifiers under “Impact Bonus”, including: +1 for “battle formations charge target in their frontal attack zone” (when would attack elsewhere be permitted?). That would suggest charging units would always get at least a +2 modifier?
* The rulebook did not mention a second Impact bonus. . . It rather implied just a +1 total for charging.
The rulebook and the QRC both state that regular cavalry gets only an Impact bonus.
* Would that be two Impact bonuses per the QRC?
* Cavalry fighting in the Flank or Rear of an enemy would get no extras bonuses, since those fall under “Other Combat Bonuses” in both rulebook and QRC?
* It seems cavalry is also not eligible for the “push and shove” bonus.
The QRC states that “Bonus lost if charging unit disordered & when counter-charging.”
* This was directly under “Impact Bonus”, but would it apply also to the first Impact bonus under “Other Combat Bonus”? Would make some sense, but did not see it mentioned in the rulebook.
* Denying the bonus to counter-chargers seems new (rulebook did not seem to mention it), but then we haven’t yet found any reason for defenders to ever counter-charge.
Welcome to the world of War & Conquest
yes when charging there is only the Impact Bonus of +1, unless its clearly noted elsewhere in an army list or similar.
In the book (page 80) Impact is listed under ‘other bonuses’ to remind you about it. We first meet it on page 53. It looks like the person who did the QRC (a member of the community) just duplicated it, I will see if I can edit it in some way.
A countercharging unit does not get the impact bonus, see page 53 for why
Cavalry are Battle Formations but currently get no Combat Rank Bonus but do get Push and Shove bonus and if they charge enemy flank or rear, you get those bonuses as well.
I have written some updates and am planning on giving cavalry Combat Rank bonus (subject to history in some circumstances) to help level them up a bit. Because of that, Shock bonus will then change. More on that in a few weeks.