It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 am

Hydaspes 326 BC 
Site Admin

Post Hydaspes 326 BC
I am writing this up as a War & Conquest Historical Battle for the Society of Ancients Battle Day on 28 March. - Previous events have been excellent and a big, in advance, thanks should go to Phil who is manfully painting up loads of Indian cavalry!
I am also contributing at least one units worth!
Any suggestions regarding the battle are more than welcome - I shall also use the opportunity to review the Indian and Macedonian lists so a good time to mention any observations regarding the lists.

I have seen/faced the army of Alexander in action a few times but not tried out the Indians yet, so looking forward to the day

Not sure who will be commanding Alexanders army and who will be Porus, but there should be some spare commands for those that want to join in.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Hydaspes 326 BC
Its this Saturday and looking forward to it

From the Front page -
Battle Day ( Bletchley) Society of Ancients 28 March - Hydaspes 326 BC - We are not trading here, but will be there with some other War & Conquest enthusiasts running a large game and can bring any preorders

The Indian army is around 8000 points!

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:19 pm
Site Admin

Heres a pic of my painting efforts - Phils done loads more and thanks to those loaning armies

Attachment:
Robs Indians.jpg
Robs Indians.jpg [ 171.35 KiB | Viewed 4114 times ]

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:47 pm

They look very nice mate.

Cheers, Steve.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:54 pm
Site Admin

So the day has come and gone - a very enjoyable day all round - thanks to the SOA and Richard Lockwood in particular for the organising.

Attachment:
hyd 1.jpg
hyd 1.jpg [ 251.25 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]

Having arrived on time and unloaded, Phil and Tony turned up moments later and then we had the first discovery - 'someone' had left the battle mats by their front door :o :oops:

So while I checked with other gamers if they had any spare, 'someone' popped off to a (thankfully) nearby fabric shop and obtained a suitable length of beige/sandy coloured cloth - which, in fairness was really very good (as the photos show)
Attachment:
hyd 2.jpg
hyd 2.jpg [ 227.92 KiB | Viewed 4189 times ]

So with problem solved we set up the armies and terrain. Now at this point, I have a slight confession, we probably didn't use enough of the table length - at the time, it seemed enough length (about 8 ft (up to the edge of the river) and we did have a 6 ft depth. But with armies deployed historically it all looked good and of course at that point, no one had taken a side.
Attachment:
hyd 3.jpg
hyd 3.jpg [ 147.1 KiB | Viewed 4606 times ]

Phil chose to take the part of the young(ish) and dashing Alexander :shock: , while Tony chose the role of Porus with me in support to help move the herd of elephants - we had 13 - however as another player asked to join the game (another Richard), Tony switched to the Macedonian side, and after the first roll for Strategic Advantage, battle commenced.
Attachment:
hyd 4.jpg
hyd 4.jpg [ 226.96 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]

I had put together a brief scenario, so all the Indians were deployed on the table, while Alexander had to wait for a second wave of troops to arrive. On the plus side, at turn 6 he would get the benefit of a flank attack into the Indian deployment zone from across the river.
Attachment:
hyd 5.jpg
hyd 5.jpg [ 176.14 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]

Attachment:
hyd 6.jpg
hyd 6.jpg [ 143.07 KiB | Viewed 4074 times ]

So while the Indians would need to get on and attack, they couldn't risk getting too close behind the elephant line in case the Macedonians could send the elephants Out of Control back into the Indian line.

The elephants moved forward and we held the Indian infantry line back
Attachment:
hyd 7.jpg
hyd 7.jpg [ 158.36 KiB | Viewed 4072 times ]

It was early in the battle and Alexander realised he had nowhere to move his cavalry, with no light troops on the cavalry flank to engage the elephants there was a rapid redeployment to move the pikes forward to fight the elephants - Alexander and his general were already in disagreement on tactics :mrgreen: and were definitely short on skirmish armed troops :lol: - good for the Indian side!

The elephant line continued its advance and the first engagements occurred.
Attachment:
hyd 8.jpg
hyd 8.jpg [ 193.22 KiB | Viewed 4182 times ]

Attachment:
hyd 9.jpg
hyd 9.jpg [ 167 KiB | Viewed 4075 times ]

As the battle raged it became obvious that the dice gods had deserted Alexander and when Alexander routed from the table there was a very tense moment as the dice were rolled to see if the Companions could pass their 'last chance to stand' test - they did, and this meant Alexander would return after missing a turn, no doubt the 'rout' was really a 'strategic redeployment' of the cavalry arm and as it turned out, this was pretty much true.
Attachment:
hyd 10.jpg
hyd 10.jpg [ 167.32 KiB | Viewed 4076 times ]

Attachment:
hyd 11.jpg
hyd 11.jpg [ 174.83 KiB | Viewed 4075 times ]

After more fighting several elephants were killed and as the Indian cavalry moved up to plug the gap, Alexander returned to the table. Charging forward the Macedonian cavalry arm engaged their Indian counterparts successfully while, else where, the first of the flanking force started to move onto the table. On Tonys side things were a much closer, the elephants were pinning the phalanxes but losing lives.
Attachment:
hyd 12.jpg
hyd 12.jpg [ 176.55 KiB | Viewed 4071 times ]

Then despite a valiant flank attack the Indians more or less held the attack and the Indian bow got the range on Alexander and vaporised the Companions as they made a glorious charge to attempt to snatch a victory by breaking the Indian infantry line
Attachment:
hyd 13.jpg
hyd 13.jpg [ 196.98 KiB | Viewed 4076 times ]

Phil phones for assistance - its game over!
Attachment:
hyd 14.jpg
hyd 14.jpg [ 215.47 KiB | Viewed 4068 times ]

So in conclusion thanks to Phil Tony and Rich for playing the game - I think we had a lot of fun moving the best part of 16000 points of troops around and ignoring set up time and lunch, the battle took 4 hours at most - thanks to Reece Payne, Dave Toone and 1st Corps for lending us enough Indians to show a decent force (Macedonians were from Phil and Tony, remaining Indians were Phils and mine) - I look forward to trying out the battle again at a future date as I really do enjoy recreating the historical battles and considering the issues the Ancient generals had to face as well as attempting to interpret the source information available to make the 'right' choices to actually fight the battle to a close conclusion.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:09 am

That's one awesome looking game there mate.

Cheers, Steve.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 am
Site Admin

Reports on all the games will appear in Society of Ancients Slingshot mag in issues 301 and 302, War & Conquest will be in 302

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:45 pm