It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Solo Game 

Post Solo Game
I decided to play a game over the festive season, my son couldn't make it so it had to be a solo game, however he took part in the deployment and overall strategy of Morcant's army over email and any other decisions where decided by my 'commonsense' or a die roll. The best thing about this game is that although I had taken part in the Gravesend tournament and bowed to other players knowledge of the game, in this I had to look at the rules and digest them, therefore I understand why things happened a lot better. My thanks to Dave Toone for online advice on several rules points. Anyway here is my report, the armies were around 2000 points and the game was played on a 6x4 foot table, to be honest this could have been slightly larger with those numbers, but for a solo game it worked.

Morcant
A 24 x Commanipulares with Morcant
B 32 x Pedyts
C 24 x Milites with Bishop
D 24 x Mercenary Geoguth
E 24 x Mercenary Duguth with Decurio
F 10 x Commanipulares
G 13 x Sagittari
H 13 x Javelins

Constantine
1 32 x Mercenary Franks with Shaman
2 24 x Mercenary Gedriht with Constantine
3 24 x Mercenary Duguth
4 32 x Mercenary Geoguth
5 24 x Milites with Decurio
6 10 x Milites
7 13 x Mercenary Slingers
8 13 x Mercenary Javelins

17th October, 544AD, the feast of St. Ignatius of Antioch.

Constantine, one time Tribune of Caer Celemnion, is deploying his army in a battle to claim back his province. Exiled after a bitter civil war by a powerful faction under the sway of the Legatus Morcant, a rich and ambitious man, Constantine made his way to the court of his father-in-law in Belgica. Here he promised great rewards to anyone who could help him regain his position, this drew a great many adventurers to his standard to which he could add a small, faithful group of his own countrymen.
Morcant’s army stands ready for a fight, he has brought his best troops and he too has spent money, pagan banners can be seen amongst the host as well as Christian standards, the die is cast.
Both men look for a swift decision and each commands his army to advance. Morcant takes a moment to form shieldwalls and places himself at the head of his household troops, not a moment too soon as Constantine hurls his men forward. Helped by a small hill the invaders crash into the wall of shields, mercenary Gedriht with Constantine alongside rout their enemies, Morcant does the same and makes short work of the impetuous Franks. God has made his decision however and soon Morcant’s left flank is all but destroyed, only his companions remain with him on this part of the field as Constantine begins to surround the survivors.
On Morcant’s right the mercenaries of both sides have spent most of the day glaring at each other, the Saxons obviously not wishing to harm each other unless victory is assured, perhaps the British lords should have spent more. Morcant’s cavalry however did despatch Constantines mounted Milites, albeit took time. Seeing no need to die for a lost cause, the Saxons warily made their way from the field, their opposite numbers happy to see them go.

Overall plan.

The armies deploy.

The Franks.

Morcant and his shieldwall.

Constantine advances.

The armies clash.

The end, Morcant is surrounded in the top right while the British threaten the remaining Saxon mercenaries.

I do admit to wishing Constantine to win, but I played fair.

Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Post Re: Solo Game
i somehow missed this, but very nice game.

i too am making some plans for a solo game, just to learn the rules better. my trouble is space as currently i don't have room for a 6 x 4 table, but i was considering just playing on the floor, but it'd have to be a day when the family was not around. Todlers and miniatures don't mix.

i also really like your game sketch, could I ask how you did that?

-Stew

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Stew,

The sketch was done in Adobe Illustrator CS6 which I use for my maps etc. you can see examples of what it can achieve on my website. I eventually hope to build up a library of colours and shapes to use for Dark Age/Medieval/Ancient games, mainly for my own use and for the battles I intend to put in my scenario booklet which I hope to get out around Easter. A lot of people use Photoshop but Illustrator is designed for drawing, the former is not, although it gets by obviously.

You can find out how to do just about anything in Illustrator on YouTube which is a fantastic learning source.

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:57 am

thank you! I'll look into it.

turns out i don;t need a solo game as i have one lined up in 2 weeks. I'm going to bring saxons and i thikn he is bringing Selucids, whatever those are.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:35 pm

I think you could be up against it facing Seleucids, an Alexandrian Successor army, with Saxons. They are way more sophisticated than your bunch :D Good luck.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:07 pm

what, are we talkling pike phalanxes here? better go read those rules...

yes, i can see why people do ancients over medievals, as there seems to be more variety in the units. I'm sometimes tempted to start some sort of ancient army but i quickly come to my senses.

i'll be sure to snap some pictures and report back.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:29 pm
Site Admin

Pike phalanxes, cavalry, and possibly, elephants.. :shock: :mrgreen: There might even be a scythed chariot :o

However, the good news - you both have the same amount of points on the table, and remember, victory is achieved by completing the Battle Objective.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:44 pm