It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 am

Battle of Bibracte (question) - newbie asking 

Post Battle of Bibracte (question) - newbie asking
Hello,

This is my first post and I just picked up a couple of copies of War and Conquest. I have read the majority of the rules and was planning on creating attempting a quick historic battle - the battle of Bibracte 58 BC.

I have never attempted this before at such a scale especially not having played the rules but I think I can pull it together readily with a few substitutions. I plan on doing the game in 15mm.

My Question is:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which army lists to use for the OOB of this battle?

My first thought for the Roman army was to use "Armies of the Classical Era" - list: "49. MARIAN ROMAN (105-25BC)" I think this would be correct - thoughts?

I am not sure which lists to use for the opposition (assuming the above was correct for the Romans) - does anyone have a suggestion for the following groups of opposition for this battle?

1. Helvetii tribe
2. Boii tribe
3. Tulingi tribe

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows enough about the battle it looks like two of the Roman Legions and the Auxiliaries did not participate -do you know if this is true or not? (we have not played many Ancients battles - especially historical ones - this is all semi new to us).

By the way: I had some difficulty interpreting some of the rules in my early reading - overcame it and have read quite a bit since figuring out my one issue - the game looks really good! I hope it can handle the larger battles! I / our group looks forward to giving it a go. Other system choices were (warhammer ancients which we have multiple copies of; Hail Ceaser - dont own not sure if it was the right fit - too little information out there, and Clash of Empires - though this one looked pretty good I had already purchased War and Conquest and after reading a lot of it, it looks pretty satisfying and I am actually hoping that it might work with some larger Napoleonic battles as well).

Thank you very much for your thoughts in advance.
-Dave

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:30 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Battle of Bibracte (question) - newbie asking
Hi Dave and welcome

The Caesarian Roman list could also be a good fit for you, as its an extended version with more options. Arguably you might be able to use the EIR list and retro fit - again, this list may have more options for you.

War & Conquest can handle decent sized battles and gives the option to create sub commands or even 'mini armies' under separate commanders.

I don't know enough about the opposition at this time but I would have thought the Warband list will get you started.

War & Conquest is designed to be fun, and get everyone involved, and provides (hopefully) plausible historical results.

Any questions, please ask away

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I hate to be a bother but a couple of more questions...

Is the Caesarian Roman list the "Armies of the Classical Era" - list: "49. MARIAN ROMAN (105-25BC)" or is this a different list?

If different I cant seem to find it unless it is located elsewhere (i.e. not in the "Armies of the Classical Era" book)?

Also

Which list is the Warband list? (is it within the "Armies of the Classical Era" book or located elsewhere?) (could it be "Armies of the Classical Era" list: "II/11 Gallic - 400 BC to 50 BC?").

I just wasnt sure if there are lists somewhere else or if they are these pdf downloads.

I was pulling pieces for a a few minutes yesterday and may barely have enough to field this battle but I think I can pull it off with less than a tweak on 3-6 units so I look forward to attempting this set of rules.

I am actually on looking to have fun - historical results would be great but fun is number one as well as some competition.

Thanks again,
-Dave

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Rob,

I found the lists - The list book that I was using I see isnt the official one. I see how things are organized better now. So I thin kI have answered my own question reference where are those lists.

Here is a link for anyone else that might encounter the questions

http://scarabminiatures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1060

thanks again.
-Dave

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:46 pm
Site Admin

Let us know which you will use and how the army rosters might look. I will see what info I have here on the battle when I can get at the bookshelves later as its one I don't know off hand.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Sounds good.

I will be working on creating the armies this week.

I am currently using GMT's Conquest of Gaul board game as my primary reference to do the battle - we have never really created a historical battle before - anything we have ever played has been thrown down on the table except for napoleonic in which case we have only ever played historical battles.

It looks like we will be upwards of about 2000 figures give or take. This wont include the two legions and auxiliaries that appear not to have participated in the main battle. Plus it will include a few tweaks for the non-Roman side such as higher morale or something for one or two units sinc I will be short a few figures (very few I think.

We will be using a scale of roughly: 27:1 for infantry, one catapult per legion with four legions on the table. It looks like all of the Roman aux were in the background.

As soon as I get it together Ill try to post a few pics - cant promise anything here though :-)

Look forward to anything you might have on the battle - my forte is actually WWII and the vast majority of reference material is WWII and a respectable napoleonic reference section.

Thank you,
-Dave

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:02 pm