It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 am

Agincourt 
Site Admin

Post Agincourt
Following some conversation in another topic, I thought it would be interesting to explore the possible alternatives for the Battle of Agincourt.

We know what happened, field was muddy, French 'charged' and died/lost. Clearly theres more to it than that.

To the game more interesting-
Could for example we have an option for a dice roll at the start of the game and the 'muddy field' - clearly difficult ground, could be 'Uneven ground', or possibly 'clear'. Thus giving the French a better chance to get to the English line.

What other factors can we consider?

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Post Re: Agincourt
Rob - I think you have hit on the main factor - the muddy field. A straigh forward "what if" therefore is what would have happened if it had not rained the night before and the ground had been firm?

What if the French had charged whilst the English were re-deploying?

What would have happened if the French had acted first and possibly sent a mounted flanking force to fall on the English rear?

or sent crossbow/foot through the woods to harry the English flanks (to coincide with the knights charge)?

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:19 pm

How about randomly placing markers face down in the middle of the table with, let's say, 10" distance between them. And as soon as a unit gets within 5" of them they are flipped and it is revealed, signifying difficult, uneven or clear terrain with a diameter of 10". So nobody knows the terrain until they run into it :)

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm

I like that idea.

Apart from that, i think the French player should simply have more troops. The english has favourable terrain - and then they can fight it out :D.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:10 pm

fchenjaeger wrote:
How about randomly placing markers face down in the middle of the table with, let's say, 10" distance between them. And as soon as a unit gets within 5" of them they are flipped and it is revealed, signifying difficult, uneven or clear terrain with a diameter of 10". So nobody knows the terrain until they run into it :)

Fantastic idea, in general, not only with that terrain effects.
Adds a great portion of fun and randomness without a gamemaster, is easy to handle and could be completed with the use of SIP prior the battle (use of one SIP, which is lost after using = looking at one of the markers to know more than your opponent :)).

Definitely something to add to your campaign book, Andy.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

fchenjaeger wrote:

As Olaf said, thats a reasonable idea.
Probably better to place patches of variable ground and roll a D3 each time you arrive at a section. I would do the sections in strips rather than diameter. Say 10 x 4. Gives more variation and the table can have suitable pieces added as the army advances.

Nicks other ideas also offer interesting choices for expansion in the manner used for the Megiddo article so I will take a look at those when I get time. I am sure I had a book on the battle somewhere (probably an Osprey Campaign), if not, it can be a modest purchase at the next wargames show we attend, which is the 3 March :mrgreen:

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 pm

I know I'm bumping an old topic here, but I would really enjoy seeing this played out. If someone is so inclined, please post pictures!!! :P

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:17 am

I was reading about Boudicca and Paulinus last night and was struck by the similarity with Agincourt - woods funneling the larger force, high ground and a military advantage (longbow vs Roman training).

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:07 am
Site Admin

I am now writing an article/scenario for Wargames Soldier Strategy on this very topic.

Although the scenario will work for most game systems, the refight I shall also be doing will use War & Conquest and Kallistras 12mm figure range so I am looking forward to that

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:19 pm
Site Admin

Having been to the very enjoyable Hammerhead show on Saturday (more on that later in a different post) I also picked up the Kallistra 12mm figs.
The article is developing well, and I am looking forward to the refight (and hopefully no rewrite after!!) :mrgreen:

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:01 pm