It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dwarfs, or Dwarves and all things Elf 

Post Re: Dwarfs, or Dwarves and all things Elf
Mephiston wrote:
I've always thought of a dwarven army as anolog with an EIR army.

Lots of heavy armour, professional troops. Reliable artillery and largely poor cavalry (not sure what the form should take), few skirmish type troops.

That's a good analogy!

But let's not have anyone on skis p-l-e-a-s-e! ;)

Cheers

Matt

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 pm
Site Admin

I think at some point in the past, a company made Roman dwarves, I forget who off hand though.
I probably have some somewhere!

Dwarfs can also be associated with the Norse/viking/Saxons, cue Vendals old range, they were pretty good. I think a company in the US owns them now

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Think it was west wind productions - they also do Dwarf hoplites and ram (goat) riding cavalry, Dwarf Wars range ?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 am

I have of had somewhere Dwarf Legionaries von Black Tree Design. But i think associating them with some kind of Northmen is better fitting. (However, Rennaisance style Dwarfs are also interesting, and there are minis for them out there! Maybe there could be different kingdoms with the later having more gunpowder weapons but less skilled hth fighters).

Imho it would be best to give them some movement restriction - for example -1" on each move they make - but some special rule to reflect their stubbornes and discipline. Re roll failed march tests for example. Also, D8 or +1 AS for all Dwarfs woukd be fitting. Ususally they have also a high Morale (8), are skilled in hth and have good equipment but this alltogether might make them a bit to elite. Imho from all this factors a high CA could be best left out, on the other hand dwarfs usually dont use spears so CA4 but only a hand weapon could be a good combination. Double handed weapons should be also available, but care should be taken that they are not to powerfull. Imho shieldwall is a nice special rule for Dwarfs, so you have to choose if you want to use hand weapon + shield and possibly shieldwall or a double handed weapon.

Dwarfs often don´t use Magic, but it should be available to them in a restricted way, because thats fun!

I have started putting together a Dwarf list some weeks ago. Nothing special till now but some basic and elite units and generell special rules. I´ll try to add some units and then send it to you Rob!

@ Elves: Imho Elves should be a good mixture of skilled archers and powerfull hth fighters. Expensive, but fragile. Movement can be resolved by making them all light formations which is imho pretty fitting and favours also small units. Alternative, +1" on all moves (which are not doubled for charging or marching) as with the dwarfs could be also a solution.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:34 am

Goltron wrote:
...Rennaisance style Dwarfs are also interesting, and there are minis for them out there! Maybe there could be different kingdoms with the later having more gunpowder weapons but less skilled hth fighters)...

Good idea!

Matt

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:01 am
Site Admin

I think dwarves have plenty of options, Northern, and the more Renaissance style, theres room for both with slightly varying backgrounds

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm still very fond of the 80's GW dwarf figures - a mix of norse and imperial dwarfs, with imperial dwarfs having a sort of dismounted crusader feel about them - armoured crosbows, serjeants, foot knights in plate armour, that kind of thing.

GW also moved away from rules they found "too complicated" such as sappers for battlefield defences, which added to more scenario based games than GW cater for these days.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Orange Dave wrote:
I'm still very fond of the 80's GW dwarf figures - a mix of norse and imperial dwarfs, with imperial dwarfs having a sort of dismounted crusader feel about them - armoured crosbows, serjeants, foot knights in plate armour, that kind of thing.

GW also moved away from rules they found "too complicated" such as sappers for battlefield defences, which added to more scenario based games than GW cater for these days.

You need some bearded, yodelling skiers mate! ;)

Matt

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 am
Site Admin

I have now started on this list, initially working on the feature rules.

Not really given consideration to 'cavalry' yet, as I have generated a brief background that encompasses a range of different settings for the dwarfs, so regardless of your collection, once complete, you should be able to use them.

Thanks for the original feedback, came in useful for sure and more to follow.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:33 am

Rob wrote:
Not really given consideration to 'cavalry' yet...

Dwarves riding goats ... :shock:

Can't really see any opportunity for jokes in that, can you? ;) :roll:

Matt

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next