It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

War & Sorcery overview 
Site Admin

Post Re: War & Sorcery overview
Generally no, especially as the system has to contibute toward myths and legends, not just pure fantasy.

Any spell caster with a 'kill an entire unit' spell would cost mega points.

I think I am happy with the basics and principles of the magic system, I am currently putting together some sample spells so we can play test it properly.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Idea for spell casting: Like moral test, you also can use SIP (if failed, SIP lost)

Idea for monsters/huge creatures: Possibility to summon them instead of putting them as option in the army lists. This way you have those monsters (special ones per army/"spell law") but also some kind of difficulty/prize to deploy them (high level risky spell :) ).

Idea for army creation: Like in Heroes of Might and Magic 3 ( :) I still play that sometimes) a General or King or God or Character doesn't has to be on the battlefield but creates options in which units can be choosen. This way you can have an Illusionist with units that are illusion but look real until in contact with enemy :) Or a "Breeder" who created an army of wolf-men, rat-men, crocodile-men or whatever, but those characters should not be on the battlefield and a normal general can lead the army (which is also a disadvantage on its own because those generals have limited powers, cannot cast spells or have additional abilities in combat). Hope you get my point. Its a tribute to the pen&paper roleplay past some (at least me) of us have :) Wonderful stories and objective ideas arise from that character based armies, me think.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

We won't be using SIPs for magic, but there are MIPs- Magical Intervention Points :mrgreen:

I like some of the other ideas, and to some/most extent, it will be up to folks to decide what they want- fantasy and sci fi have no boundaries... :D

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

I may have already asked but would Sir be interested in a suggested list for an army containing a large amount of heavy cavalry, possibly with a French-style accents, lots of downtrodden peasants, etc?

Would be good to wheel out the old Bret... :oops: err... cavalry army again. Sadly I sold all my flying types on ebay! Doh!?

Some of those FireForge men-at-arms would be just the job!

Spag Bol anyone? :o :lol:

Cheers

Matt

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 am

I think some kind of humans inspired by the Romans or Byzantines would be also nice.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 pm
Site Admin

Rob/Goltron,

I plan to simply allow historical armies, but with obviously, a range of 'extras'- taking Legends of War one step further, and so other to all of you there :mrgreen:

However, to justify all of this, I have started sketching out an alternative 'world/realm' to give context. That will develope at its own pace, depending on how well the initial ideas are recieved. Otherwise there are plenty of existing fantasy worlds to set battles in anyway.

Matt- yes please!!

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:22 pm

OMG!!!!!! :mrgreen: i have been looking for something like this for ages and it was right under my nose, so have joined the forum for this alone. I love the idea of myths/legends/gods being introduced as magic in an ancients battle :evil: :D :twisted: . The possibility's are endless, i particularly like the idea of summoning mythological beings to add some spice to a battle, a couple of mineators or perhaps a Grendal could make things rather livley :o :o :o :o
Gruffers

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 pm
Site Admin

Welcome in then :mrgreen:

Not far off the magic system going online- eg days..

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Any lists so far? I´ve sent you some more suggestions for Dwarfs :).

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 pm
Site Admin

Goltron- several work in progress, but nothing yet. A solid magic system is important to pin everything else together and of course, my 'normal' life' is interfering with anything writing and toy soldier related at the moment!

I have the dwarf list here to look at, plus someone else also sent a list in.

The nice thing about fantasy- theres no right or wrong :mrgreen:

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 pm