It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:28 am

Pyrrhic army blog 

Post Pyrrhic army blog
Inspired by the Bristol gaming weekend finally got the motivation together to make a start on my Aventine Pyrrhic army.

Progress upto Monday finished main assembly and undercoat:

Two nights work finished flesh base colour, will be working through the whole army as a batch colour by colour and then going back to highlight/shade to a finish in normal small batches:

Wed May 11, 2016 10:26 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Pyrrhic army blog
Oh blimey look at all those pikes!

Let me know when you fancy a game..

(NB if you want a one trip to the event in Newark let me know, I am going on the Sunday only)

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu May 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Rob, unfortunately can't make next weekend. Have a game this weekend at Devizes against Paul B which'll be my first chance to give them a run out, will try and make it upto Iron Acton soon for a game but does depend on my wife's work shifts as she often works sunday nights. Wanted to ask you about the look of the phalangites, noticed on Aventine's gallery section people painting the helmets blue, always assumed all their helmets would have been bronze and not painted! Quite like the look of it wondered if there was any historic evidence either way, or we just don't know?

Got a bit more done over the last couple of days brown and meltalic silver applied, plus blacked out the bases as edges ready for basing materials to be applied:

Sat May 14, 2016 11:26 am
Site Admin

Ian- ok no problem look forward to a game

Blue helmets, yes I have seen it as well but forget the reference/original historical source - I should have it in a book somewhere though

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Sat May 14, 2016 10:26 pm

Cool will go with the blue helmets then. First unit basecoated 14 Jav skirmishers:

Sun May 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Finished the base coats on the second jav unit and light Macedonian cavalry:

Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Couple more units base coated, characters:

Agema Cav:

Mon May 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Few pics from my game against Paul B yesterday, we played 2,500pts he used late Romans.

My list was:

Pyrhus 3 SIPs
Sub commander mounted 2 SIPs

30 Macedonian phalangites – Heavy Armour
30 Epriote phalangites – Heavy Armour
30 Epriote phalangites – Heavy Armour
12 Agema Cavalry – Heavy Armour
12 Macedonian Light Cavalry – Bucklers
2 x 14 Javelinmen – Bucklers
9 Rhodian Slingers
Indian Elephant
2 Ballistas

Paul’s list was quite small in number of units but using big legionarie units, something like:

General
2 x 24 Veterans
2 x 24 Pedes Legionaries
12 Cataphracts with officer
2 mounted ballistas

I had test of strength mission, Paul breakthrough, we rolled hidden deployment which aided me as my Elephant ended up nicely positioned to protect my phalanx flank from the cataphracts.

The cataphracts were slow whittled down with javs before being rear charged and eventually run down by my light cav. In the centre my 3 phalanxes went head to head with 3 legionarie blocks which went well in two places as I slowly ground them down through superior weight of attacks.

On my left however though I got cursed by the dice gods as my Macedonians charged the romans manage zero kills and suffered 4 casualties back, some bad positioning of Pyhrus by myself meant I couldn’t help them with any SIPs and they broke and were run down in a single round, ouch!

This put the pressure on the Agema on the left flank who were squaring off against a pedes block and trying to whittle them down before engaging, thru a combined shooting effort with the ballistas and skirmishers. The game was looking like heading for a draw as we were both likely to achieve our objectives but then it was Paul’s veterans turn to fluff their lines only causing 1 wound on a ballista which snake eyes’d the morale check allowing the elephant to flank charge them before they could scuttle off by my rally point.

They eventually killed the elephant but to no available as this only allowed me time to turn around my phalanxes and wipe them out handing me victory. A very enjoyable back and forth game with luck swinging wildly one way then the other, was happy with how the boys performed but slightly worried I might get swamped facing an army using lots of smaller units as opposed to Paul’s large blocks of Romans, a army standard would be nice too if I can find the points.

Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for that, sounds an exciting game!

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Mon May 16, 2016 7:31 pm

Everything base coated now ready for basing materials and shading:

Wed May 18, 2016 8:27 pm