Title says it all!

Please note the comments at the start, thank you

Attachment:
Crusaders v1.pdf [480.4 KiB]
Downloaded 1283 times

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu May 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Post Re: The Crusades v1
Should mounted sergeants get the option to have heavy armor as well? at a point increase of course.

Also when you take dismounted units, they count towards cavalry point totals and function like infantry is that correct?
Example 6 dismounted knights make up 13 out of 40% towards cavalry and also meet the minimum of six for an infantry unit?

Cheers,
Floyd

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Nevermind the armour question i just saw that light armor included partial chain covering

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:30 pm
Site Admin

The dismounted formations come out of the cavalry allowance but are infantry, not cavaly - correct

Perhaps in version two, rather than call the category 'cavalry' I might give it another name, 'Knights and Sergeants' or something similar.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 am

For clarification what is the distinction between early and late crusades? Where does the third crusade come in?

Thanks,
Floyd

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:20 pm
Site Admin

Floyd -I am no expert so would need to resort to books to check details but by the lateCrusades, the type of armour changed and there was the formation of the Military Orders from the Crusader (European) side. I think Richard the Lion Heart was third Crusade (and a wiki search confirmed it - hoorah for the old memory! 1189 onward and actually the piece is very detailed) against Saladin - not sure how many changes applied by then, but I would imagine some partial plate was appearing

On the Muslim side, changes to armour and tactics would also be relevant, plus as I recall, the different factions also changed, but don't quote me there, because I could be confusing myself with an earlier period :mrgreen:

(So now I must repeat to my self - I don't need another period at the moment, I don't need another period at the moment, I don't need another... Doh.... :mrgreen: )

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I was under the impression that by the time of Richard, mail armor was still the norm for knights and sergeants at arms that could afford it, the great helm was in use to some degree but plate was not very common. maybe grieves or other small bits like that. I also thought the crossbow was quite prevalent in the third crusade. However like you said I'm no expert. I'm using Fire Forge for my crusaders and Gripping Beast plastic Arabs for my armies of Islam. The fire forge kits don't have normal bows for the Europeans.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 pm
Site Admin

Yes mail for sure, its only 100 years after the Normans arrive in the UK :mrgreen:

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 pm

I guess i'm just trying to place the third crusade in either the early or late crusades. Ive done some research now and it appears that the knightly orders (templars/hospitallers) both supported richard and were active at the time of his crusade and should be able to be taken as allies. Also I see a lot of reference citing crossbows as the primary bow for the crusaders in the third crusade. to me that makes it sound like an army based on richards would be a late crusader army.

This is beneficial as the primary plastic options for miniatures of european crusaders are mainly outfitted with crossbows (fireforge games). Really I would just like your input. I need to stick to plastic as much as possible for the price and ease of getting them in the US as Old Glory seems to be the only metal range I can get at a half way decent price over here.

Another question however is whether or not there is a list that covers the knightly orders??

thanks,
Floyd

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:19 am
Site Admin

Ideally separate lists for all the Crusades would be nice.. Theres plenty of interesting Personalities in there

If the list author doesn't see this post I will drop him a mail and see if he has done anymore lists - last time we spoke he was dabbling with a few options - theres the Teutonic list for a guide for military orders, plus some entries in the El Cid Christian list that could also be used if you fancy taking a stab at a list yourself in the meantime :mrgreen:

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 am