It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 am

EIR Romans Vets vs Experienced. 

Post EIR Romans Vets vs Experienced.
Maybe I'm missing something but what's the difference between the Veteran legion and Experienced other than 4 points? Is there some special rule missing on the army list?
Cheers

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:29 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: EIR Romans Vets vs Experienced.
KA4 for the vets costs 4 points as an upgrade to the Exp. stat line. It is pretty deadly, although to be honest, I don't see why they get it...

I would have thought that a veteran is more likely to have better Morale than a greater ability to kill someone?

But, you pays your points and you makes your choice!! :lol:

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 pm
Site Admin

As Dave noted, its the improved Killing Ability

The 'Why' is very simple - the gladius was the Romans principle weapon for killing (in combination with the scutum), and to make a distinction in the lists to reflect this, I chose to make veterans better at it as they would have developed this fighting style to the best of their ability. (Whether the terms 'veteran or experienced' is accurate is really not relevant, 'battle hardened' is probably a better name for the vets)

We could give them better morale instead (or indeed as well as KA 4) but then they probably would get overwhelmed by barbarians as they won't kill enough :mrgreen:

But again, as mentioned by Dave - you pay your points and take your choice, there are other options, and the Auxiliary units often contributed significantly to Roman victories

All this gives the EIR player a breadth of choice - a small elite force of killing machines, or a larger army of more standard troops, or a mix of somewhere in between - plenty of fun to be had on army roster creation :mrgreen:

Hope that helps, - time for a sit down and tv before heading back to Devizes tomorrow morning!

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:13 pm

I might be losing the plot here but they both (Vets and Exp) have exactly the same stat line on the pdf. The regular have KA 3, the others KA 4

Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:16 pm
Profile WWW

Serotonin wrote:
I might be losing the plot here but they both (Vets and Exp) have exactly the same stat line on the pdf. The regular have KA 3, the others KA 4

Yep, time for more medication!! Either I'm losing it or you are!!! :lol:

Just had a look at Robs list again, and they are different stats for sure.

Hope it's not a problem for me to direct you to have a look at the blog AOLs too:

http://warandconquest.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Classical%20AOL%20Lists

It's always worth having a look there for lists too as there are some different options.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Rob wrote:
time for a sit down and tv before heading back to Devizes tomorrow morning!

I've heard that there might have been a terrible defeat inflicted on a Viking army by some Saxon rabble led by Ealdorman (is that Saxon for old man!) Turner?

Please tell me it's not true Rob! :shock:

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Cheers Dave. I've not seen that link before. I was using the pdf linked at top of this thread.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Profile WWW

Serotonin wrote:
Cheers Dave. I've not seen that link before. I was using the pdf linked at top of this thread.

The AOL under the Classical section on the forum? Couldn't see any link, but going by the points you mentioned, that seems to be the one...

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Nah the book linked at the top of the forum. I'm a tad confused as I've now got 3 army lists, 1 in the big book off, Robs v2 further down this forum and the one you linked on the blog. Which do I use? I'm new to WAC if you couldn't tell.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:10 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Chris,
just to jump in here and help, basically use which ever list you fill suits the army your playing, most players are happy to play against any of them but its best to let them know which your using before hand. Now if your going to a event then just ask the organiser.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers, Steve.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:44 pm