It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Greek City States version 2 

Post Re: Greek City States version 2
I've seen reference to this being invented in 399 BC under sponsorship of the tyrant Dionysuis the Elder.

However it goes on to cast doubt as to it's viability for battlefield use.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for an optimum troop mix for my GCS army? I keep losing to Romans primarily because my flanks collapse and then my hoplites get attacked from the sides and rear. I have tried cavalry - which was outclassed by the Roman horse - peltasts, psiloi and even a Hill Tribe warband but they all crumble.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:44 am
Site Admin

Can't speak for the Greek City States too much but as the Spartans are very similar I tend to take 4 phalanxes of 24, 1 is veteran, 1 is trained and the other 2 are Subjects. The vets are usually on the right with the general and the trained are on the left, they have an officer as does the 2 subject phalanxes.

The rest of the troops consist of 2 units of 16 hill tribe infantry (with extra armour), each with a leader, and 6 Spartan cavalry, which in fairness could be replaced with more hill tribes but the cav are handy for driving off skirmishers and threatening the flank.
I then have 3 or 4 units of helot skirmishers.

When using Greeks of any type, it is important to protect 1 or both flanks so if you can, deploy with a useful piece of terrain to one or both flanks. Advancing in echelon can help or if you have a good position, only move one side of the army.
You need to engage Romans to the front, if the enemy have more units consider expanding your frontage with a couple of the phalanxes so you then have a 'spare' unit to move around the enemy flank and this makes it more difficult for them to get round yours although in fairness that's what the hill tribes or peltasts are for.

Then, its down to the dice gods.

Hopefully at some point we will meet for a game but feel free to ask more questions and perhaps check some of the photos from my previous battle reports either on the scarab facebook page and some are also here, these may give you a couple of extra ideas

I do enjoy playing with my (Scarab Miniatures!!) Spartan army and will eventually also finish the Greek City State force (also Scarab), my victory record is mixed, but that's not really why I play, I just enjoy using the figures as I am very interested in the period

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks for the ideas, Rob. I shall try them out on George!

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:33 am