It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 pm

WAC Armies Book "Chariot Era" Version 4 January 2014 

Post Re: WAC Armies Book "Chariot Era"
The server migration of the german WAC Forum seem to have corrupted the pdf-files somehow, so I upload the same version again here in the first post instead of a link to the german forum. Hopefully without any errors occuring opening the pdf.

For the Greater WAC :)

Cheers
Olaf

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:35 am
Profile WWW

I've got a few issues with the Early Archaemenid Persian list. Firstly, there is a lot of disagreement by historians over some aspects of this army and it's actions, so we need to bear this in mind. Secondly, what knowledge I have relates to 465bc and earlier - mainly around platea & marathon

a)However, one thing we do know is that the immortals had spears (with an apple shaped counterbalance at the butt ).

b)There is disagreement as to whether or not the Immortals used a spara, and if they were used aggressively (as most elite units usually are) they would have had shields. I believe the balance of opinion is that they did not use the spara.

c) The Immortals were 10000 in number. Therefore to limit them to only 1 unit seems incorrect

d) I note the skirmishers - but to have no light infantry option in Xerxes army of 120000 seems wrong

e) the effectiveness of the spara bowmen was largely down to volume of arrows. Therefore the SA of 4 should, I think, be 3

f) Rob has done a version 1 Early Archaemenid list - which I think is much better all round - including Legends of War for Xerxes

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for that feedback, its possible Olaf missed my list when he compiled the book, although of course, its also fair to say you wouldn't naturally look in this book for a Persian list anyway. (Well I wouldn't :oops: )

I can't take too much credit for the V1 list, old g*t submitted the original. I just interfered- as usual :mrgreen:

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Post Re: WAC Armies Book "Chariot Era" Version 4 January 2014
A question on List 12 'Alexandrian Macedonian.'

The Light Hypaspists are listed as having a shield, but many of the references I have seen talk about them carrying a thrusting spear a a hoplon type shield, which should be counted as a large shield. Any particular reason why this isn't an option?

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:50 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: WAC Armies Book "Chariot Era" Version 4 January 2014
I didn't write the list but you might want to look at the full version which is here

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=825

as that has a bit more detail

Any references/suggestions to support amendments are more than welcome - thank you

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:09 pm