It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Romans using the Pilum 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:43 pm
Posts: 29
Post Romans using the Pilum
I seem to be a little lost on how the Pilum and other heavy and normal thrown weapons are used in game. I have now recieved my book and upon looking at the Armory, I see it states they reroll kill rolls. Could someone clarify if they are used for shooting during a charge or if they are used in the first round of actual combat or so on?

Thank you much and cheers!
Floyd :D


Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:44 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:02 pm
Posts: 3448
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
Floyd

Check page 119 and the section on throwing weapons.

In the weapon bonus section it mentions 'opening round of any combat' you may reroll ALL the kill rolls.

That's when charging, or if charged. Front rank only.

Hope that helps.

_________________
Kind regards
Rob
http://www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk


Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:43 pm
Posts: 29
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
Alright that clears it up a bit however I'm still confused on whether or not i have to select that they are using pilum instead of gladius or if they simply are considered to be using the pilum in conjunction with the gladius in the opening round.


Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:12 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:39 pm
Posts: 230
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
Putting it simply Floyd, in the initial round of combat against an enemy to its front, the Romans fight in one rank and enjoy Armour Piercing of 1 and reroll all kills.

In subsequent rounds the figures in both the first and second ranks fight but there are no adjustments to be had.

What I see is being simulated; is the Romans launching their pilum before contact and fighting with gladius & shield until the combat is concluded.

Hope it helps.


Last edited by old g*t on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:22 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:43 pm
Posts: 29
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
O so they get all that and two ranks in combat? That's pretty nice then. I thought only thrusting spears and on up got extra ranks.


Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:46 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 116
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
example:

18 roman hastati (6x3) charge into 24 Carthaginian Spearmen (6x4)

round 1
the romans get 6 attacks, which they are allowed to re-roll all the kill rolls if they choose, and gain armor piercing 1.

the carthaginians get 12 attacks back.

round 2
the romans get 12 attacks and the carthaginians get 18. no re-rolls or armor piercing for either.

_________________
"Look to the North. Keep looking. There’s nothing coming from the South."

http://wacmedievalproject.blogspot.com/


Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:54 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:02 pm
Posts: 3448
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
The example is correct.

The second rank comes into play from the following round of combat.

In an opening round thrusting spears in defence mode have an advantage, but in subsequent rounds, good quality Roman steel should see them off :mrgreen:

_________________
Kind regards
Rob
http://www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk


Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:54 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Posts: 10
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
At the risk (probably justified) of being branded a serial moaner I have to say I think the pilum rules are all wrong. I say this after numerous fights with republican Romans against two of their usual enemies, Macedonian pikes and Carthaginian spearmen.
The first point of issue is that early sources (and most experts) agree that the whole of the Roman unit discharged their pila, not just the first rank. In WAC pila armed troops are seriously disadvantaged compared to historical reality.
Second, the AP +1 is useful but against armoured infantry with shields and (often) with a phalanx bonus its rarely crucial and never in my experience makes up for the relative few troops involved compared to opponents armed with pikes or thrusting spears. The effect of pila was to disorder and/or de-shield opponents and it would imo be better if the enemy lost -1 AP for the whole of the combat (certainly for the first round).
Third, the benefit of re-rolling "kills" is largely illusory in practice. This is dues to statistical probability on dice rolls. Given that with a unit of a frontage of 8 the likely number of hits is small anyway and after armour saves "kills" are likely to be very few. On over twenty experiments "kills" fell between 1 and 2 on over 75% of goes and statistical probability suggests that the chances of improving this on a re-roll is only around 20%, with a 20% chance of making it worse and a 60% chance of no change.
I feel that with the rules as constituted the Roman republic would have been a military failure; certainly my Roman army is unlikely to see much combat.


Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:02 pm
Posts: 3448
Post Re: Romans using the Pilum
I won't disagree the Pila might need an amendment, but keeping a balance is absolutely vital

(quick reply as I have to duck back to work!)

_________________
Kind regards
Rob
http://www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk


Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:47 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.