It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:59 am

Roman lorica segmentata armour rating 

Post Roman lorica segmentata armour rating
Hi,

Just started with WaC, have played three games now. Noticed on the early imperial roman list that they are rated as light armour? On page 124 of the rulebook it states segmented armour as heavy armour, which other ancient rule sets I have also rate the Roman segmented armour as heavy armour. I take the light rating to represent chain mail which was worn early on but by the period classed as early imperial segmented armour was the general equipment for the legionaries The army list needs a clarification to show that mail equipped legionaries are rated light armour and segmented armour equipped legionaries are rated as heavy armour. This is quite a significant difference and will better reflect the advantage the segmented armour has in the way the Romans fought, as they were heavy infantry.

The accepted date range for the Romans using segmented armour is 14 AD to @ 300 AD, so the early imperial roman list needs this addendum.

Nige

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Roman lorica segmentata armour rating
Interesting viewpoint Nigel and thanks for the thoughts, rating armour is tricky across multiple periods, perhaps I shall let them have the option as an upgrade and then folks can decide accordingly

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 pm