It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 am

Siege Rules for War and Conquest 

Post Siege Rules for War and Conquest
Hi all. Finally got my computer back up and running, and I decided to type up the rules I have been using for Siege games. Please note that these borrow heavily from the WAB Siege and Conquest rules, and are NOT official scarab rules. that is, unless rob decides he likes them! Feel free to comment, and please let me know if you notice any glaring omissions, typos, rules that need clarifying, or something that is overpowered/under powered/doesn't seem to work right. I noticed one thing already I will add into V2, but I figure I will get other eyes on it before I smooth it out.

So, here is (The Fan Made) War and Conquest: Siege and Conquest V2.0

Update 7/28/15: Version 2 uploaded. Added Siege Prelude Options and a note on weapons being used on the ramparts.

Attachments:
File comment: Version 2.0 7/28/15
Siege And Conquest PDF.pdf [133.93 KiB]
Downloaded 431 times

http://wacmedievalproject.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Malificant on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Siege Rules for War and Conquest
Fantastic- thank you

downloaded and will take a look after the weekend - busy time - we have a Waterloo game all day Saturday, and on Sunday its a War & Sorcery game using the revised magic system and so on...

More next week.... :mrgreen:

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:42 pm

So...I found a missing page to my rules I forgot to type up into this document. When I get some time early next week I will revise and it should make some of the rules make a but more sense.

Missing rules or omissions so far:
1. Units gain no weapon bonuses when fighting on the ramparts. no room to effectively use double handed weapons, spears, or halberds.
2. Final Assault attacker and defender options: Pre-game options the attacker and defender can spend Legends of War points on such as undermining, bombarding the walls, repairs, etc.

Let me know if you see anything else so I can get version 2 up and running!

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:57 pm

If nothing else, I will begin redacting and put version out in the next week or so.

Let me paraphrase a game we played utilizing the system (Not a full battle report by any means)

Attacker: Burgundian Ordonnance
Defender: French Ordonannce
3000/1500 points + 750/325 Legends of war/siege equipment

The castle consisted of 4 12" wall sections, a 10" gate house, and 4 4" towers (roof was 5") The french deployed units of scabby francs archers in each of the towers, whilst having a large unit of partisanmen split into sub units and manned 3 of the wall sections that I will call west, southwest, and southeast. a small unit of men at arms took to the east wall, and another unit of partisanmen manned the gate inside the courtyard. crossbowmen took up residence in the gatehouse. 3 cauldrons of boiling liquid were purchased for the walls, a trebuchet and a reinforced double gate. the rest of the points were spent on troops.

the attacking burgundians had a unit of dismounted gendarmes pushing a siege tower towards the eastern wall, with a small crossbow unit ontop the tower and 2 units of longbowmen with pavises flanking. sappers and pikemen marched toward the west wall, while two more units of archers, a unit of handgunners, and another unit of pikemen brought ladders to bear on the southeast wall. the southwest wall saw a smallish unit of household gendarmes face it. allied billmen from england manned a tortoise and headed for the gate, whilst two siege cannons pounded the south east wall.

a bloody fight occurred on the east wall. after fighting fires on the siege tower for a few turns, the gendarmes clashed with the men at arms, and both generals joined the fray. the gendarmes superior numbers were matched by the superior KA of the defending men at arms, who got reinforced at the last moment by some partisanmen when their numbers dropped. one lousy round saw the gendarmes flee the wall, not being able to recover in time to retake. east wall secure.

on the western wall the pikemen and sappers took decent casualties on the way in from the francs archers in the towers and while raising ladders the pikement took a full dump from the cauldron. while they managed to take the walls after heavy casualties from the partisanmen, the archers attacked from the towers and caused them to flee. the sappers thought they could take the francs archers, but were mistaken and should have continued to pick at the wall. west wall secure.

the southwest wall inflicted heavy casualties on the household gendarmes when they raised ladders, and the defending partisanmen were able to hold them off. the south east wall got blown to bits by the siege cannons, but the pikemen were unable to take the courtyard alone, and other units could not manouver in time to take advantage of the breach. a decent shot from the trebuchet landing on the pikemen didnt help either. the english pounded away at the gate, but I forgot about doing d3 attacks each turn so their efforts were in vain. OOPS!

in the end the french did well holding the walls, and the one breach made could not be leveraged in time for a win on the attackers part. shooting was way more effective on both sides than anticipated (just regular bows were like machine guns this game!) and a good time was had. while this report makes it seem like the french had an easy time of it on the walls, the three walls assaulted all could have turned the other way. I had him sweating unit I was unable to pass a combat morale check to save my life in two turns and there went the assault parties.

tons of fun, got to use pavises and siege tower and siege cannons, and a tortoise on the attackers side and cauldrons and double gate and a trebuchet on the defending side.

Next time we will probably proxy up some crusaders and fatimids and do some crusades action.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:56 pm
Site Admin

Sounds good!

Any photos?

Not had time to try out any of the material, but your post now did remind me to take a look at the pdf and I will look forward to v2 while I try and get one of my castles set up for a game.

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:31 pm

none of the game. I can get some of the castle and the siege equipment and a few troops though.

Since my buddy I game with usually proxies his force and does little painting, photos don't do the games justice.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:22 pm
Site Admin

Malificant wrote:
none of the game. I can get some of the castle and the siege equipment and a few troops though.

Since my buddy I game with usually proxies his force and does little painting, photos don't do the games justice.

Yes - understood - we have all done that in the privacy of our own homes!! :lol: :mrgreen:

A pic of the castle etc would be great

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:47 pm

some pics of my WIP castle, siege equipment, and troops to whet the appetite for grand siege games!

Attachments:
DSC00870.JPG
DSC00870.JPG [ 389.11 KiB | Viewed 5113 times ]
DSC00869.JPG
DSC00869.JPG [ 394.23 KiB | Viewed 5113 times ]
DSC00868.JPG
DSC00868.JPG [ 422.24 KiB | Viewed 5130 times ]
DSC00867.JPG
DSC00867.JPG [ 312.98 KiB | Viewed 5121 times ]
DSC00866.JPG
DSC00866.JPG [ 312.05 KiB | Viewed 5107 times ]