It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm

6 figure frontage 

Post 6 figure frontage
Hello,

How crucial is the 6 figure frontage for infantry in the rules. My figs are based in fours with change, four groups of 4 figures gives me a nice 16 figure unit. The rules however do not allow this infantry unit to charge if only 4 figures wide? I would also be interested in playing some smaller games with the rules, in the 500-1000 point range. It becomes challenging with the 6 figure frontage rule which naturally leads to bigger units. Can this be adjusted, and if so would some other rules or modifier be appropriate?

Regards,
Carnyx

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:59 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: 6 figure frontage
Hi There

ancient armies typically arrayed with more width than depth and the rules reflect that - a 16 man unit gives you 2 ranks of 8, which is ok for smaller games (or 12 models equals 2 ranks of 6)

In my Spartan army my supporting hill tribes are 16s and the hoplites are 24s, so you could ratio this down to suit.

There would be no harm in just having an 8 model unit of course, if all units on both sides are of similar sizes you will have the same challenges - you might find it effective to give each model '2 lives' so you can cope with some attrition.

Alternatively, you try using a smaller 'scale' and taking 1 figure to represent 2 models, so your 4 fig frontage has 8 strikes, you might need to half all the movement distances to get the correct feel though - not ever tried it, just a random thought really :mrgreen:

Anyway, hope some of that helps and enjoy the games!

www.warandconquest.co.uk

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 am

Post Re: 6 figure frontage
Thanks Rob, some great ideas. I'm glad I asked, would not have come up with either of those solutions.
Regards,
Carnyx

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:24 pm